Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Beijing















I've finally have enough time to actually update everyone on my last trip. Beijing was worth the three days I spent there but any more time and I would have ended up annoyed with the place. Since it was my first time there I had to go to the standard tourist sights: Tiananmen, the Forbidden City, and the Great Wall. My buddy and I wanted to check out Mao but his mausoleum was closed for the weekend. Rumor has it that Mao’s body is not looking as fresh as it use to. Surprisingly all three places were not that exciting. Tiananmen is just a huge square with a lot of foreigners and peddlers, the Forbidden City has even more foreigners and peddlers, and the Great Wall is completely comprised of foreigners and peddlers. I’m glad I went to these places; it really is a must if you have never been, but I cannot see myself going back to these places anytime soon.































One difference I notice between Shanghai and Beijing is that the air pollution is actually worse in Beijing then it is in Shanghai. I don't know how this is because after a day of walking outside in Shanghai I feel like I've smoked a pack of cigarettes, however in Beijing it feels like a thick layer of death is constantly covering every part of your skin. Visibility poor at best and I don't think is going to get any better before the Olympic Games. Some people are even speculating that Beijing might lose the games if enough events are canceled and if they are it could spell disaster and humiliation for China.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/6934955.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7061253.stm

Another problem was the traffic. I’ve been stuck on the 94/Dan Ryan in Chicago during rush hour but nothing compares to the traffic congestion that is Beijing. We were coming back from the Great Wall at 3 in the afternoon and there was bumper to bumper traffic for mile. It took us 2 hours to get into the center of town. I don’t thing there’s anyway I’ll attempt to go the Olympic Games; I’d rather enjoy them from the luxury of my apartment.

Beyond the smog and the traffic I had a good time in Beijing. The food was amazing, the people were mostly friendly and it’s cheaper than in Shanghai. I really enjoyed going to all the places the locals went to instead of being trapped in some tourist joint. If you’re ever in Beijing just get on the Metro line 5 and get off at Huixinxiqiao, amazing food and night life with very few foreigners. My friend, on the other hand, kept on getting ripped off by the peddlers. At one point he ended up paying 120 yuan, $15, for a pair of AA batteries. I guess that’s what happens when you look like a stereotypical American, you end up being an ATM to these people.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dankhuon/Beijing
















No comments: